Korean Journal of Veterinary Research 2008;48(2):219-221.
Electrocution caused by a fallen electric wire in Korean native cattles
You-Chan Bae1, Kyung-Hyun Lee1, Soon-Seek Yoon1, Jung-Ho Heo2, O-Soo Lee1
1National Veterinary Research and Quarantine Service
2Gyeongnam Livestock Promotion Institute South-branch
Abstract
We report the electrocution of Korean native cattle by a fallen electric wire, which caused the death of thirteen animals. The owner of the cattle felt an electric shock on touching the steel pen and found a fallen 220-V wire on the roof of the barn; additionally, the roof was singed. Clinically, the animals developed spasm, difficulty breathing, and excessive salivation. Histopathologically, many visceral organs revealed severe congestion or hemorrhage, which is consistent with previous reports. This study revealed that the proper installation of electric wires on farms is essential to prevent economic loss by electrocution.
Key Words: cattle, electric wire, electrocution, histopathology


About
Browse articles
For contributors
Policy
Editorial Office
#401-1, 85 Bldg., College of Veterinary Medicine, Seoul National University
1 Gwanak-ro, Gwanak-gu, Seoul 08826, Korea
Tel: +82-2-880-1229    Fax: +82-2-878-9762    E-mail: jvs@ksvs.or.kr                

Copyright © 2022 by The Korean Society of Veterinary Science.

Developed in M2PI

Close layer
prev next